I have 20 years of experience of working with children (aged 0-19), families, and their schools to understand and address educational and emotional difficulties.
I aim to support families to get things back on track in the early stages using brief interventions, or can offer more specialist assessment and therapy.
Examples of some of the issues I work with:
- Developmental difficulties such as autistic spectrum condition (ASC)
- Anxiety (eg phobias, obsessive compulsive disorder or trauma)
- Low mood, depression or self harm
- Family relationship difficulties
- Coping with long term health concerns such as diabetes or epilepsy
- Adoption, fostering or the needs of looked after children
- Low confidence, low self esteem or social difficulties
- Problems with sleeping or eating.
- Learning difficulties
- Specific learning difficulties (Dyslexia)
- School difficulties or anxiety
- Anxiety and family conflict affecting children with Aspergers syndrome or ASC
All appointments last between 50 and 60 minutes.
The initial appointment
Initially I would talk together with the child and parents or carers in this first session. It may also be helpful for me to talk alone with the child, or parent. I am always interested in hearing what the child is concerned about and what they think will help.
The focus of this meeting is for me to find out about the difficulty that brings you, detailed background information and what your goals for our work are. We can then discuss which assessment or psychological approach would be most effective in helping to overcome these difficulties.
The first appointment is a chance for you to find out about me and how I work and to ask any questions.
I will write a brief letter or report summarizing this discussion if it is required.
The format of future sessions is adapted to what would be most helpful. Older children often prefer one to one sessions and this can increase their motivation to bring about change. For others, working with the child, parent(s) and other family members together, helps to build stronger understanding and communication within the family. It can often be useful for me to speak to teachers or make a school visit. Boundaries around confidentiality are always discussed and agreed together. Progress towards goals is reviewed regularly.
In my work I use a variety of therapeutic approaches including:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Solution focused brief therapy
- Systemic and family therapy
Please contact me to discuss your requirements.